How To
Adding Stampede Strings to Your Hat

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

I've been doing more work in the yard lately, and as summer approaches, that is only increasing. I love it, but as a very pale-skinned individual, protection from the sun is a must. I avoid sunscreen as much as possible because even the most natural brands cause irritation if I leave it on for very long. So I'm often seen in long sleeves and hats during the summer months. 

I love hats, clearly. But I mostly wear them for fun, and unfortunately, I found the two hats I wear outside the most to be not ideal. One is thick felt, so very hot and best for cooler temps, and the other is suede, and I didn't want to damage it with water because it's my favourite hat. My dad wears straw hats for working outside, but complains they break down and need replaced so quickly, so I took some time to do some research, and read some reviews.

What I settled on is not the coolest option, it's a Mexican Palm made by Stetson, and it did not have the chin strap/stampede strings that I was hoping for. However, the reviews are incredible and it looks so nice. I was skeptical to spend $55 on a hat I will just work in, but the cheaper options don't seem to last very long, so it felt worth it.

And let me tell you, it was so worth it. I absolutely love it. I see why so many people called it an "heirloom hat" and said it's the only one you'll need to purchase. I really haven't had any trouble with it falling off my head while working, however I still wished it had the stampede strings as we get heavy winds here and I feel like they would be a nice addition. 

A little research, and I found that you can purchase strings and attach them really easily. One particular option doesn't even require any modifications to the hat, which was a plus for me, so I started looking for the strings, and I found this great pair from Knot-A-Tail on Etsy. I know there are a few tutorials out there, but thought I would add some photos here of the process.

First, you'll need to find out exactly where the strings should go. I placed my hat on my head, and made a small mark on the underside of my hat right where the front of my ear is.

Once you have the marks, it's time to insert the cotter pin between the stitches on the sweat band where the marks are. It should slide in pretty easily.

One the cotter pin is through, flip the sweat band down, and bend the pin apart so it's open and flat against the the seam. Then flip the sweat band back up, and you're done. 

The markers marks ended up being really unnoticeable, and I'm guessing they'll eventually wear off, but if not, it doesn't even show.

I love the addition of the strings, and I'm glad I didn't let the lack of them stop me from purchasing this hat, because it's truly amazing, and the strings are so easy to attach. Had I known the ease sooner, it probably would have meant way less searching.

I hope this is useful for someone! I highly recommend Stetson, and also urge you to check out Knot-A-Tail, they have some really beautiful hat accessories made from horse hair.

No comments :

Post a Comment